Fun Facts About Walnuts
The Walnut is considered a stone fruit.
- It is highly nutritious providing a good source of omega 3 fat and B vitamins
- The black walnut (juglans nigra) is very hard to crack open. A hammer or vise are good tools to crack open the shell
- It is estimated that an average squirrel eats approximately 50 pounds of nuts in a year.
- Walnut ink is made from the green husk surrounding the nut of walnuts.
- It makes a rich brown permanent dye and has been used for centuries as an ink in calligraphy and painting.
- The ink was used in classical Rome for dying hair.
- An ancient use of the ink by the Romani communities was to stain the hands of criminals. The stain remains for long periods of time.
If you would like to learn more about walnuts, other nuts and farming consider visiting the Bates Nut Farm in Southern California.
For recipes and other information about Walnuts :
Nut store in Vancouver BC Canada
Maiwa Artisan Store with Natural Dyes
Granville Island, Vancouver BC Canada